The resource will be responsible for using a combination of user centered design and agile development methods to create a highly usable user interface for development projects. The resource will work very closely with project business analysts, technical leads and developers to develop system information architecture and responsive designs for the user interface during projects. This a combined position, requiring the skillsets of both a UX Designer and UI Developer, primarily focusing on interaction design. The position assists development teams with the final look, feel and behavior of the interface in different contexts. The position also works with project teams to provide the user interface solution that is ADA compliant and in compliance with the State of Michigan’s look and feel standards.
• Works directly with project team including business analysts, business owners, solution architects, developers, and QA to ensure understanding of the requirements, functionality, size, scalability, and usability of the IT solution.
• Works in conjunction with the Business Analyst to examine existing business processes and systems to develop a full representation of the system’s interface design and usability by the business.
• Participates in all requirement gathering meetings, JAM sessions and/or brainstorm sessions with business owners to identify product usability concerns and desires.
• Examine and analyze current user(s) flow and process, pain points, and desires from a usability and visual standpoint to deliver proper solutions.
• Leads the overall visual design and usability of the product. Provides expertise and leads the project team through applicable design patterns, screen layout decisions, and usability testing.
• Serves as an advocate for the end user of the product, consistently working to improve the overall design and usability of the delivered product, as the budget allows.
• Creates sketches, wireframes, and mockups of user interface screens according to the requirements/user stories that adhere to Look & Feel Standards as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. Creates high-fidelity functioning prototypes when applicable/feasible.
• Reviews wireframes with the Business Analyst for business requirements and with Technical Lead for technical feasibility before presenting wireframe solutions to the business.
• Provides guidance to the development team regarding UI/UX best practices, established coding standards, and ADA vulnerability remediation.
• Performs usability testing to ensure conformance with UI/UX best practices.
• Performs accessibility testing to ensure conformance to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
• Creates and facilitates usability tests with the intended users of the product and iterates screen designs accordingly.
• Actively advises developers on accessibility requirements and vulnerability remediation.
Experience and Skillsets
Approximately 6-8 years of experience with the following:
The candidate must have experience designing the user interface and user interactions for systems. Cascading Style sheets, HTML5, and Java Script development experience is required. Angler JS experience is preferred but not required.
Ability to interpret user research to design highly usable system information architecture and screen designs. They should be able to develop both low fidelity and high fidelity prototypes and have the knowledge and skills to evaluate the designs’ usability through cognitive walkthroughs and heuristic reviews. The individual should be able to plan and execute other forms of usability evaluations including informal and formal usability tests. To be effective, the candidate should be familiar with user profiles and personas and how to use them in design development and in a walkthrough.
The consultant must be able to work closely with developers and analysts during the construction of designs.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $45.00 to $50.00 /hour